This dish is very common in Japan. The combination of asparagus and bacon is fantastic. My mom made it when I was a child. It’s good for a lunch box menu!
Ingredients (For 3 plates):
- 10 asparagus
- 170g (6oz) of bacon (10 half size bacon)
- 1 teaspoon of vegetable oil
- salt & pepper (If you like)
- 2 tablespoons of *Yakiniku no tare (Japanese BBQ sauce)
- rice (if you like)
Here is how to make it at home. Cooking time is about 10 - 15 minutes.
- Slice asparagus into 5 cm (2 inches) long. Cut bacon into 10 cm (4 inches) long.
- Fill a pot with water and heat on medium heat, after boiling, add asparagus and simmer about 5 minutes or until asparagus is soft. Remove from heat, and pour the boiled water out.
- Preheat vegetable oil in a frying pan with medium heat, in the meantime, put 2 sliced asparagus on top of a slice of bacon and roll together. Repeat for the rest of the bacon. Put all rolled bacon in the frying pan.
- After the bottom of the bacon rolls are brown, put Japanese BBQ sauce into the pan, cover with a lid and simmer about 5 minutes.
- Remove the lid, flip over the bacon rolls and simmer 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat, put the rolls onto plates. Add salt & pepper if you like.