Fried rice is one of the delicious homemade dishes in Japan. You can use leftover meat, vegetables and rice to make it at home. In that way, you wouldn’t waste food and your refrigerator would be clean. I used leftover fried chicken which I bought from a local grocery store this time. Fried rice is very common to eat as lunch in Japan. I found that adding some hot sauce on top of the fried rice is actually tasty. If you would not mind a little spicy food, I highly recommend adding the hot sauce on top.
Ingredients (2 - 3 servings):
- 2 - 3 big pieces of (leftover) fried chicken
- 1/2 bag of mixed salad
- 2 eggs
- 1 small green onion
- 1 teaspoon of sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons of *soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon of salt & pepper
- Rice for 2 - 3 people
- hot sauce (as you like) -> See picture A
Here is how to make it at home. Cooking time is about 25 - 35 minutes.
- Cook rice. Meanwhile remove bones from fried chicken. Cut the fried chicken and a green onion into small pieces.
- Preheat sesame oil in a frying pan or a wok with medium heat. Add the fried chicken and stir for 2 minutes. -> See picture B.
- Add mixed salad, stir and mix for 2 - 3 minutes. Remove from heat. -> See picture C and D.
- After rice is fully cooked, put rice and beaten eggs into a medium - large bowl. Add salt & pepper and mix thoroughly. -> See picture E.
- Reheat the chicken from step 3. with medium heat. Add the rice from step 4. into the frying pan and mix thoroughly. Add *Soy sauce, mix and stir for 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat. -> See picture F.
- Put chicken fried rice on plates and add the green onion on top. When you eat the fried rice, add the hot sauce on top.