This is a popular dish for children in particular in Japan. Omurice can be found at Western style restaurants in Japan as well. You can draw anything you want on top of the Omurice by demi glace sauce, or tomato ketchup like heart, smile face, words, anime characters and so on. I cut pepper jack cheese as Halloween characters and put on top to celebrate Halloween. You can enjoy this unique Japanese food on Halloween Day. Your family would love this cute Omurice!
Ingredients (2 plates):
- 6 eggs
- vegetable oil
- 1 onion
- 3 slices of bacon
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- rice for 2 people
- parsley flakes (as you like)
- salt & pepper (as you like)
- 5 tablespoons of tomato ketchup
- 5 tablespoons of *Worcestershire sauce -> See picture A
- 1 can of sliced mushroom (4oz, 113g)
- 3 slices of square pepper jack cheese or swiss cheese (I used pepper jack cheese this time)
Here is how to make it at home. Cooking time is about 35- 45 minutes.
- Cook rice. Meanwhile and for demi glace sauce, preheat tomato ketchup and *Worcestershire sauce in a small saucepan with low heat for 2-3 minutes. Add a half can of mushroom and simmer for another 2-3 minutes or until it boils. Remove from heat. -> See picture B & C.
- Cut pepper jack cheese by knife as Halloween characters as shown in the picture. -> See picture D.
- Mince an onion and bacon.
- After cooked rice is ready, preheat butter in a flying pan with medium heat. Add onion, bacon, and another half can of mushroom in the frying pan and stir until bacon and onions are fully cooked. Add cooked rice, parsley flakes and salt & pepper. Mix and stir thoroughly for 3-5 minutes. -> See picture E, F and G.
- Put fried rice on plates as shown in the picture. -> See picture H.
- Beat 3 eggs at a time. Preheat vegetable oil in a different frying pan with medium heat. Pour beaten eggs in the frying pan. Simmer until eggs are fully cooked. Remove from heat. (Cooking tip: Do not overheat eggs.) Repeat this step for 2 servings. -> See picture I.
- Cover omelette on top of the fried rice as shown in the picture. -> See picture J.
- Pour the sauce from step 1., sprinkle parsley flakes, and put cheese from step 2. on top.