Oyako literally means parents and a child. This dish also represents chickens (parents) and an egg (a child). Don means a bowl of rice. This dish is very common in Japan. Family can enjoy this authentic Japanese dish together at home!
Ingredients (2 bowls):
- 1 chicken thigh (200g, a half-pound)
- 1 onion
- a half carrot
- 1/2 green onion
- 2 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of *Sake
- 2 tablespoons of *Mirin
- 1 teaspoon of *Hondashi
- rice for 2 people
*Sake is an alcoholic Japanese rice wine which is made by fermenting rice.
*Mirin is a sweet Japanese rice wine with a lower alcohol percentage, and sweeter than Sake.
*Hondashi is bonito soup stock powders.
Here is how to make it at home. Cooking time is about 20- 30 minutes.
- Cook rice, in the meanwhile, cut chicken into bite size chunks. Slice carrot and onion. Chop green onion into small pieces.
- Put soy sauce, *Sake, *Mirin, *Hondashi and sugar in a small cooking bowl. Mix up very well.
- Preheat vegetable oil in a frying pan with medium heat, stir the chicken, the carrot and the onion for about 5-7 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Add the 2. sauce into the frying pan, cover and simmer for about 10 minutes or until the sauce is shiny and thick. Remove a lid and flip over the chicken occasionally.
- Whisk eggs in a small cooking bowl. Pour and cover the eggs onto 4. and simmer about 3-5 minutes or until the eggs are half cooked. Remove from heat. -> See picture A.
- Put the cooked rice into a bowl, pour a half of 5. on top. Add the green onion on top. Repeat it for 2 bowls.