“Harumaki” in Japanese means “spring roll” in English. Spring roll is very popular in Japan. Spring roll is originally from China. Egg roll is a Chinese American dish. Apparently, egg roll is similar to spring roll but these are different dishes. I thought I made spring rolls filled with shrimp and cheese, but I actually used egg roll wraps instead of spring roll wraps. I’m not sure the exact difference between egg rolls and spring rolls. However, this shrimp cheese egg roll dish is delicious and super easy to make at home.
Ingredients (For 2 plates):
- 113g (4 oz) of cooked shrimp
- 3 long sticks of cheese
- 6 egg roll wraps -> See picture A & B
- 1/3 height vegetable oil of your frying pan
- 4 cherry tomatoes
- 1/2 bag of salad mix
- Soy sauce
Here is how to make it at home. Cooking time is about 20 - 25 minutes.
- Preheat the vegetable oil in a frying pan with medium heart.
- Meanwhile, remove the tails of shrimp and pat the shrimp with kitchen paper towels to remove water. -> See picture C.
- Cut the cheese sticks into half size length. -> See picture D.
- Place an egg roll wrap on a cutting board. Put the cheese and 2 shrimp on top of the egg roll wrap as shown in the picture. -> See picture E.
- Fold both sides of the egg roll wrap and roll it as shown in the pictures. -> See picture F & G.
- After the vegetable oil temperature is high enough, put Shrimp cheese Harumaki into the frying pan and deep-fry until these are golden brown. Flip over them occasionally. -> See picture H.
- Remove from heat and put Harumaki into the bottom flat container with kitchen paper towel on top. Pat and remove excess oils from Harumaki. -> See picture I.
- Put cherry tomatoes, salad mix and Harumaki on plates. When you eat Harumaki, pour soy sauce on top or dip it in the soy sauce.