Gratin is originally from France. But this dish is very popular in Japan. It looks like a casserole in the United States. This dish has very rich creamy flavor. It’s great to serve your family and friends for holiday celebrations.
Ingredients (2 - 3 plates):
- 1 small package of shrimp (198g, 7oz)
- a half can of sliced mushrooms (113g, 4oz)
- 2 potatoes
- 1 onion
- 1 cup of frozen *Edamame (if you like)
- 300ml (10.1 floz) of heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 cubes of *Japanese consomme
- 2 tablespoons of flour
- 1 teaspoon of salt & pepper
- 1 cup of shredded cheese (I used shredded cheddar cheese)
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
*Edamame is a Japanese dish and a type of soybean that is steamed or boiled in the pod.
*Japanese consomme is made of vegetable extract, beef extract, chicken extract, yeast extract, soy sauce, salt, sugar and so on. It is similar to vegetable, chicken and beef stock. -> See picture A.
Here is how to make it at home. Cooking time is about 50 minutes – 1 hour.
- Cut potatoes into bite size chunks and slice onions. Remove tails of shrimp.
- Put the potatoes into a glass container and microwave for about 4 minutes.
- Preheat olive oil in a frying pan with medium heat. Stir shrimp for about 3-5 minutes or until it’s fully cooked. Remove from heat and place in a small plate.
- Heat the olive oil in the frying pan with medium heat again and stir onions and mushrooms for about 5 minutes or until onions are little soft.
- Add heavy cream, butter, *Japanese consomme and flour in the frying pan. Mix up and stir very well for about 5 minutes or until the cream is thick.
- Add the potatoes and stir for 3 minutes. Add salt & pepper. Remove from heat. -> See picture B.
- Put frozen *Edamame in a small container and microwave for 1 minute.
- Put 6. , shrimp, inside edamame beans into a glass baking dish. Sprinkle the shredded cheese on top. -> See picture C and D.
- Heat 8. in an oven with 250 degree Celsius (482 Fahrenheit) for about 20 minutes without preheat. Remove from heat. (My oven didn’t reach 482 Fahrenheit within 20 minutes, but I removed from heat exactly 20 minutes later. Cooking time depends on ovens. Please check your dish occasionally.)
- Leave for about 2-3 minutes to cool it down little and serve the gratin on a plate.