This is not a typical Japanese food, but the combination of smoked salmon and cream cheese is great and it’s easy to cook. This dish has a thick creamy taste and the key ingredient is Japanese consommé. This ingredient is very versatile. If you like a cream pasta, please try cooking this dish!
Ingredients (2 plates):
- 1 package of smoked salmon (113g, 4oz)
- 1/6 of broccoli
- 1 small can of sliced mushrooms (113g, 4oz)
- 1 onion
- 1 clove of garlic
- 200ml (6.8floz) of heavy cream
- 57g (2oz) of cream cheese
- 1 cube of *Japanese consommé
- a half package of penne pasta (227g, 0.5LBS)
- about 2800ml (3 quarts) of water (for boiling, please see the instruction of your penne pasta package)
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- 1 tablespoon of parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- salt & pepper
*Japanese consomme is made of vegetable extract, beef extract, chicken extract, yeast extract, soy sauce, salt, sugar and so on. It is similar to vegetable, chicken and beef stock. -> See picture A.
Here is how to make it at home. Cooking time is about 15 - 25 minutes.
- Boil water in a large pot. Add salt. After boiling, add penne pasta and simmer about 11 minutes or some minutes on the penne pasta package. Stir it occasionally.
- Meanwhile, cut the garlic into small pieces and heat the olive oil with the garlic in a frying pan with medium heat. Cut broccoli into bite size chunks. Slice onion.
- Add the onion, sliced mushrooms, and broccoli into the frying pan and stir it until onions and broccoli are little soft. -> See picture B.
- Add heavy cream and *Japanese consommé into 3. and mix up thoroughly until Japanese consommé dissolves. -> See picture C.
- Add cream cheese and stir until cream cheese dissolves. Add salt & pepper. -> See picture D.
- Taste the penne and if it’s soft enough, remove from heat and hot water. Add the penne into 5. and stir it together. Add the smoked salmon and stir for about 1-2 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Pour 6. onto plates and add the parmesan cheese and black pepper (if you like) on top.