Don (Donburi) means a bowl of rice topped with a variety of meat, fish, egg, and vegetables. Fresh salmon is one of the most popular toppings for donburi.
However, I found that it’s hard to get the fresh salmon at grocery stores in abroad.
I would like to introduce the smoked salmon don instead. If you would like sushi or smoked salmon, I highly recommend making this dish at home!
Ingredients (2 bowls):
- 1 package of smoked salmon (113g, 4oz)
- 1 avocado
- 1 small sheet of *Nori (seaweed)-> You can substitute with 1 small sheet of seaweed snack
- 1 teaspoon of white sesame
- 2 tablespoons of sushi vinegar
- 2 teaspoons of sesame oil
- rice for 2 people
- 2 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon of mayonnaise
- a half teaspoon of *wasabi (spicy green paste)
- a quarter bag of lettuce or mixed salad (If you like)
Here is how to make it at home. Cooking time is about 25-30 minutes.
- Cook rice, in the meantime, cut the avocado into bite size cubes, slice the smoked salmon into about 2cm (0.8 inches) wide, about 4cm (1.6 inches) long and roll 2 each sliced salmon as a flower. Make 2 smoked salmon flowers. Cut seaweed into 0.5cm (0.2 inches) wide, 4cm (1.6 inches) long by scissors.
- Mix up soy sauce, mayonnaise and *wasabi.
- After the rice is fully cooked, add the sushi vinegar into the rice and mix it up. Then, cool it down for about 5 minutes. Add the sesame oil.
- Put the rice in a bowl. Add the lettuce or salad mix on top of the rice. Add the smoked salmon on top and put the smoked salmon flower in the center of the bowl.
- Add the avocado. Pour 2. sauce. Sprinkle the white sesame and the seaweed on top.