It is very common for Japanese people to put tartar sauce not only on fish but also on chicken like this dish. Teriyaki is a Japanese cooking technique and uses soy sauce, mirin and sugar. Teri means shine, yaki means grilling, stir-frying or broiling in Japanese. When I was in Japan, I asked my mother to make tartar sauce (Tarutaru sauce in Japanese) with Japanese mayonnaise a lot. Japanese mayonnaise has a thicker taste than Western mayonnaise.
Ingredients (2 plates):
- 2 cuts (200g, 0.5LBS) of chicken thigh
- 2 tablespoons of Katakuriko (potato starch)
- 1 tablespoon of sesame oil
- 1/4 bag of salad mix or lettuce
- 1 - 2 cherry tomatoes
For marinating chicken:
- 1 tablespoon of *Sake
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 2 teaspoons of soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons of sesame oil
For Teriyaki sauce
- 3 tablespoons of sugar
- 3 tablespoons of soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons of *Mirin
For Tartar sauce
- 1 boiled egg
- 1/4 onion
- 2 tablespoons of *Japanese mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- salt & pepper
*Katakuriko is a potato starch.
*Sake is an alcoholic Japanese rice wine which is made by fermenting rice.
*Mirin is a sweet Japanese rice wine with a lower alcohol percentage, and sweeter than Sake.
*Japanese mayonnaise is made of egg yolks, not whole eggs, and has a thicker texture and taste than Western Mayo.
-> See picture A, B, C and D.
Here is how to make it at home. Cooking time is about 30 - 40 minutes.
- Boil an egg. Mince an onion. Cut 1 – 2 cherry tomatoes into wedges.
- Cut chicken thighs into about 2cm (0.8 inches) wide, 8cm (3.1 inches) long and put them into a resealable plastic bag.
- Add 1 tablespoon of *Sake, 1 teaspoon of sugar, 2 teaspoons of soy sauce, 2 teaspoons of sesame oil into 2. and marinate the chicken in the sauce. Leave it in a refrigerator for about 10 minutes. -> See picture E.
- Meanwhile, put 3 tablespoons of sugar, 3 tablespoons of soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of *Mirin into a small bowl and mix up for Teriyaki sauce. -> See picture F.
- Put 1 boiled egg, the onion, 2 tablespoons of *Japanese mayonnaise, 1 teaspoon of lemon juice and salt & pepper in another bowl for tartar sauce. Mix up thoroughly. -> See picture G.
- Add *Katakuriko in 3. (marinated chicken) and mix up very well. -> See picture H & I.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of sesame oil in a frying pan with low-medium heat. Stir the chicken for about 10-15 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked and little brown. -> See picture J.
- Add 4. (Teriyaki sauce) in the frying pan and simmer for about 5 minutes or until the sauce is shiny. Flip over the chicken occasionally. -> See picture K.
- Put the chicken, the salad mix or lettuce, and cherry tomatoes in a plate. Add tartar sauce on top of the chicken.