Japanese people cook and eat Tofu and Shiitake mushrooms a lot.
Shiitake mushroom has very unique and strong taste and smell.
But the combination of Tofu and Shiitake is very good. Soy sauce, butter and cheese also make this dish wonderful!
Ingredients (2 plates):
- Tofu (200g, 0.5LBS, firm)
- 2 dried *Shiitake mushrooms
- 4 slices of bacon
- 4 green beans
- shredded cheddar cheese (50g, 0.1LBS)
- 1 teaspoon of parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon of butter
- 2 teaspoons of soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon of parsley
- salt & pepper
*Shiitake is a type of mushroom and well known in East Asia.
This mushroom is versatile. Japanese people use this mushroom a lot for soup, stir-fried vegetables, sauté, pasta and so on. -> See picture A.
Here is how to make it at home. Cooking time is about 20 - 25 minutes.
- Soak *Shiitake in warm water for about 5-10 minutes to be soft. Cut bacon and soft *Shiitake into small pieces (about 1cm, 0.4inch size). Cut green beans on the diagonal. Remove water from Tofu using by paper towels. Cut Tofu into 2cm (0.8 inch) cubes.
- Heat butter in a frying pan with medium heat. Stir the bacon, *Shiitake and green beans for about 5 minutes. Add Tofu and stir for about 3 minutes or until everything is fully cooked. Add soy sauce and salt & pepper.
- Add the shredded cheese and parmesan cheese on top. Cover a lid and simmer with low heat for about 1-2 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Remove from heat.
- Put it in a plate and add the parsley on top.