Soba noodles are one of the most famous noodles in Japan. Soba noodles are made from buckwheat flour, wheat flour, water and salt. You can eat soba noodles with cold or hot. You can also eat soba noodles with cold Tsuyu (noodle soup) or hot Tsuyu. I will introduce cold soba noodles with hot pork noodle soup for summer. Since I thought only noodles are not enough for hungry people like me. It is served with Yakumi (condiments) like small pieces of green onions and Wasabi or grated ginger or ginger paste. For cold soba noodles, Japanese people normally put Yakumi in Tsuyu, dip soba noodles in Tsuyu and eat them like somen noodles.
Ingredients (2 plates):
- 2 bundles of *Soba noodles
- 200g (0.44lbs) thin pork (I used pork shoulder roast instead.)
- 1/2 of green onion
- 1 teaspoon of grated ginger or ginger paste
- 1 small sheet of *Nori (I used a big sheet of sushi Nori and cut it into small sheets this time. But you only need a very small sheet of *Nori.)
- 150ml (5floz) of *Hontsuyu
- 450ml (15.2floz) of water (for noodle soup)
- 1500ml (50.7 floz) of water (for boiling)
*Nori is an edible seaweed. Japanese people use Nori for Sushi, Onigiri (rice ball), topping of cooked rice and so on.
*Hontsuyu is a soup base for noodles. It is basically fish extract, bonito extract, kelp extract, sugar, salt and mixed with soy sauce.
-> See picture A, B and C.
Here is how to make it at home. Cooking time is about 20 - 25 minutes.
- Boil 1500ml (50.7 floz) of water in a large pot with medium heat.
- Meanwhile, cut thin pork into bite size chunks. Chop green onions and ginger into small pieces. Cut *Nori into 4cm (1.6inches) long, 5mm (0.2inches) wide by scissors.
- Boil *Hontsuyu and 450ml (15.2 floz) of water in a small or medium pot with medium heat. Put thin pork into the pot. -> Picture D. Simmer with a lid for about 10 minutes or until the pork is fully cooked. Remove from heat.
- Put *Soba noodles into 1. and simmer with a lid for 5 minutes. Loosen the noodles with chopsticks occasionally. Remove from heat. Put the noodles in a strainer basket (and bottom is a large bowl) and in cold water for 2 minutes or until all noodles are cold. Remove water thoroughly. -> See picture E and F.
- Put the *soba noodles in a plate and add *Nori on top. Pour the noodle soup with thin pork into a bowl. Put the green onions and grated ginger or ginger paste in a small plate.