Cold Somen noodles are very popular in summer in Japan. It is served with Yakumi (condiments) like small pieces of green onions and grated ginger or ginger paste. Basically, Japanese people put Yakumi in Tsuyu (Japanese noodle soup), dip Somen noodles in Tsuyu and eat them. I will introduce cold Somen noodles with salad in order to overcome hot summer with everyone.
Ingredients (2 plates):
- 2 bundles of *Somen noodles
- 1/4 bag of salad mix or lettuce
- 1/4 of English or Japanese cucumber
- 1/2 of tomato
- 1/2 can of Tuna freak
- 1/2 of green onion
- 1 teaspoon of grated ginger or ginger paste
- 5 tablespoons of *Hontsuyu
- 250ml (1cup) of water (for noodle soup)
- 1500ml (50.7 floz) of water (for boiling)
- 1 teaspoon of soy sauce
- 2 x 1 teaspoon of *Japanese mayonnaise (for Tuna freak, and for cucumber)
- some ice
*Hontsuyu is a soup base for noodles. It is basically fish extract, bonito extract, kelp extract, sugar, salt and mixed with soy sauce.
*Japanese mayonnaise is made of egg yolks, not whole eggs, and has a thicker texture and taste than Western Mayo.
-> See picture A, B and C.
Here is how to make it at home. Cooking time is about 15 - 20 minutes.
- Boil 1500ml (50.7 floz) of water in a large pot with medium heat.
- Meanwhile, slice cucumber into rounds and 5mm (0.2 inches) thickness. Cut tomato into wedges. Chop green onions into small pieces.
- Remove water from the can of Tuna freak, put the Tuna freak in a small bowl. Add soy sauce and *Japanese mayonnaise. Mix it up very well.
- Put *Hontsuyu in a small bowl. Add 250ml (1 cup) of water and some ice. Divide it into 2 small bowls or glasses.
- Put *Somen noodles into 1. and simmer with a lid for 3 minutes. Loosen the noodles with chopsticks occasionally. Remove from heat. Put the noodles in a strainer basket (and bottom is a large bowl) and in cold water for 1-2 minutes or until all noodles are cold. Remove water very well. -> See picture D and E.
- Put the *Somen noodles, tomatoes, cucumbers, salad mix or lettuce in a plate. Add the Tuna freak on top of the noodles. Add the *Japanese mayonnaise on top of the cucumbers. Put the green onions and grated ginger or ginger paste in a small plate. Place 4. on the side of the plate.