Salad Udon is considered as a healthy summer dish in Japan. You can add any vegetables you like. This dish is super easy to make at home.
When I was in Japan, I went to a restaurant to have a similar dish in Summer. However, I can’t go to the same restaurant in the U.S.A.
I thought I should try to make a similar dish at home. It turned out to be this dish.
If you would like to eat something cold for the hot weather, I highly recommend trying this dish.
The combination of Udon noodles, Tuna, Corn, Salad, and Deep-Roasted Sesame Dressing is so good.
Ingredients (2 plates):
- 2 packages *Udon noodles
- 2 x 50ml (0.21 US cup) *Hon Tsuyu (Noodle Soup Base)
- 2 x 1 teaspoon *Japanese Mayonnaise (As you like)
- 2 x 1 tablespoon *Japanese deep-roasted sesame dressing (As you like)
- 1 package chunk Tuna (70g, 2.5oz)
- 1/2 can whole corn (124g, 4.37oz)
- 1 small package *Katsuobushi (Bonito flakes)
- 1/4 tomato
- 2 small *Nori (Seaweed)
- 1/2 English or Japanese cucumber
- 1000ml (4 US cups) water (for boiling)
-> See picture A.
Here is how to make it at home. Cooking time is about 15 - 25 minutes.
- Put 1000ml (4 US cups) of water in a medium - large pot with medium heat. Bring to a boil. -> See picture B.
2. Meanwhile, cut the cucumber thin and diagonally. Cut the tomato into bite size chunks as shown in the pictures. -> See pictures C & D.
3. Put the Udon noodles into the pot from step 1. and simmer for about 2 minutes. Loosen the noodles with chopsticks occasionally. Remove from heat. -> See pictures E and F.
4. Put noodles into a strainer basket and rinse with cold water for about 1 minute. Remove water well. -> See pictures G and H.
5. Cut *Nori into thin and small pieces with scissors as shown in the picture. -> See picture I.
6. Put noodles, cucumbers and tomatoes into large bowls. -> See picture J.
7. Add Tuna and corn into the bowls as shown in the picture. -> See picture K.
8. Pour *Hontsuyu on top of the salad noodles. -> See picture L.
9. Pour *Sesame dressing on top of the salad noodles as shown in the picture. -> See picture M.
10. Add *Katsuobushi and *Nori on top of the Tuna and put *Japanese mayonnaise on the side.